I realize this may not be a fit for some of you. And yes, there are some who believe this is old school, old fashioned and
outdated. But, there are some who can make this work. And if it helps someone sell a few more units, I can handle a little criticism.
Memorial Day is about 30 days away, and it’s not too soon to be thinking about putting on a Memorial Day sale.
Consider Having An Onsite Tent Sale:
1. Put the tent up as close to the road as possible. Pick the best strategic position on your lot.
2. Put tables and chairs in the tent.
3. Put ALL of your people in the tent.
4. Everybody goes in the TENT!
5. Work all deals in the TENT!
6. If at all possible, move your computers into the tent and do F&I in the TENT.
7. Hang banners from the TENT saying “TENT SALE.”
8. Promote it with Direct mail and/or with a “private invitation” only deal for Thursday before you kick off your regular ads.
9. Do anything you can to make it look like a circus.
10. Rent those jumping air things for kids.
11. Balloons and more balloons.
12. Pop Corn, Sodas, Hot Dogs.
13. Lots and lots of spiffs for your sales people and managers.
14. Do a great kick off breakfast on Thursday for your staff.
15. Don’t do it just for the sales staff; get as many of your employees involved as you can. (Feed everybody lunch every day of the event as well.)
16. Send out memos and emails to all employees explaining in detail what’s going to be happening.
17. Rope off special parking for customers. Hire an off duty police officer or security guard to direct them.
18. Answer the phone XYZ Dealership Tent Sale in Progress.
19. Do a fundraiser at the same time for the local little league or whatever.
20. Post the event on your website.
21. Do an email blast to all your customers advising them of the sale. If your CRM system is sophisticated enough make sure you tell them you need their specific trade and will pay top dollar for it during the sale.
22. Giveaways generally don’t do much except cause people to show up to get their gift and leave, but having people register for a free car is a good way to get info on them when they show up. Pick out a $1000 or $2000 car and give it away.
23. Along that same line, give the salesman who registers the winning ticket some sort of prize. Gift card, $200, whatever floats your boat.
24. Make up a bunch of signs like real estate signs that say “Tent Sale in Progress” and put along the grass in front of the dealership.
25. If you’re close to the interstate do some signs with arrows and put them up close to the ramp. (Oh come on, the worst that can happen is they make you take them down.)
26. Rent a chicken suit or some kind of character and have them walk up and down in front of the Dealership with a placard that says “Tent Sale in Progress.”
It’s not complicated and it’s not expensive. You just have to be creative. Get some of your key people together and throw some ideas around.
That’s all I’m gonna say, Tommy Gibbs