Joe Maddon who has managed the Tampa Bay Rays, Chicago Cubs and now with the Las Angeles Angels is a bit of a strange duck.
Some would call him eccentric and for sure an out-of-the-box thinker. He does a lot of weird and interesting things with the way he manages the team, but he’s a winner and gets the job done.
One of his themes is “Do Simple Better.” When you break our business down, more often than not what makes or breaks a dealership is the ability to “Do Simple Better.”
Here are 5 simple things that maybe you can do better.
1. Early Intervention-you can’t manage activity by staring at your computer screen. Get up move around. Look for trouble. Trouble meaning a deal is getting screwed up before it even has a chance. You can do better.
2. Improve Your Selling Processes-odds are the evaporation factor is chasing you like a base runner caught in a rundown. Pay attention. Get on it. Stop the evaporation. You can do better.
3. Don’t Short Cut Your Appraisals-Take your time. Look for a way to make it happen. Do it right. Get it right. You can do better.
4. Speed It Up-It takes too much time to get your used vehicles through service. Find the bottleneck. Fix the bottleneck. You can do better.
5. Listen More-Take someone to lunch. Someone you would never take. Listen to them. Amazing the things you might learn. You can do better.
Make your own list.
Do simple, better. That’s all I’m gonna say. Tommy Gibbs